The Christmas Season is upon us and, all too often, that can lead to holiday weight gain. Between Thanksgiving and the New Year we are in a constant race to holiday parties and family gatherings- the temptations are everywhere! Preparing strategies now can help you avoid holiday weight gain.
Six Tips to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain:
- Get in extra workouts. Make time to workout and torch a few more calories. Get some friends together for a spin class, go for an additional run, or fit in an extra yoga session. Be sure not to “reward” yourself by consuming extra calories!
- Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals won’t cut calories! You are much more likely to overeat later in the day, especially with all the Hors d’oeuvres and desserts floating around the holiday party. Instead of skipping meals, try filling up beforehand. Eat a small, protein-packed meal before heading out.
- Control your alcohol intake. Holiday cocktails are everywhere! Remember that they are packed with sugar and calories, so stick to one, and try to choose low calorie options.
- Keep track of what you eat. Writing down what you eat makes it real. Tracking will help you make wise decisions, and determine what you have room for in your calories.
- Moderation is key. You should occasionally indulge in your favorite treats, just have some self-control. At sit down dinners, avoid the appetizers and limit your portions.
- Get enough sleep. Yes, the holiday are stressful with work parties, family gatherings, school productions. The extra stress can lead to some bad sleep habits. Not enough sleep may contribute to weight gain, so retire early, do some yoga, and aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep.