The holiday season can certainly be a difficult time of year for losing weight. With all the parties and events, it is difficult to avoid high calorie foods and sugary treats.
The key is to make wise decisions, not to avoid the parties or foods altogether. As we have always said, moderation in all things. It is okay to indulge in your holiday favorites, occasionally.
So here are some tips for avoiding holiday weight gain:
- Focus on the company of others and the entertainment, rather than the buffet table.
- Never arrive at a holiday party hungry! Eat a high protein meal before. Once you arrive at the party, start with the veggies and healthy snacks. At last, pick just one treat you most want.
- For holiday meals, survey the feast. Pick two of the less healthy foods you want most and serve yourself a reasonable portion. Have those as your indulgence and stick to the meat and veggies for the rest.
- At parties, don’t hang out by the buffet table. Out of sight, out of mind!
- Don’t splurge every day. Limit your indulgences to an occasional party and just Christmas day. Steer clear of leftovers.
The most important thing to remember is to not make unrealistic goals for yourself. If, in the past, you have always gained weight over the holidays just try to maintain this year. Plan to be stricter and lose as soon as Christmas is over.